At times, life can feel like a whirlwind. We get so caught up in meeting deadlines and running errands—it’s easy to lose ourselves in the hustle and bustle of everyday life.
Your sense of self is not what other people think you should be. It’s who you have always wanted to be. It’s who you were always meant to be.
How can we take good care of ourselves if we don’t know what we need? By gaining a deeper understanding of yourself, you can figure out what you want, which aspects of your life need more attention, and how you can grow as a person.
Here’s how you gain insight about who you are:
Identifying Your Sense of Self
To get a clearer sense of self, you might start by asking a few of the following questions:
- What are your core values?
- Who is someone that you admire? Which traits do you admire about them?
- Describe yourself. Then, describe who your ideal self would be.
- What are some of your biggest challenges?
Questions like these can be difficult to ask. We encourage you to be gentle with yourself and remember that discomfort is just a part of changing. Think of it like growing pains.
When you have a firmer understanding of who you are, you can live your life according to what makes you happy. You can become the person that you’ve always strived and aspired to be.
Cultivating a Stronger Sense of Self
A sense of self sounds great on paper, but how can you develop one? Try a few activities that encourage self-discovery—it might surprise you what you have yet to learn about yourself. Examples include meditation, personality questionnaires, and visualization exercises (where you imagine yourself achieving your goals). You can try these out and find what works for you.
Next, journal about your experiences. Write down what you learned, and how it changed your perception of yourself. When you look back on what you wrote, you may find it easier to recognize that you are a dynamic and unique person. You’re worthy of being loved, by others and by yourself.
A keen self-awareness can impact your lifestyle and self-esteem overall. But how? A few benefits include:
- Ground yourself. Uncertainty is a natural part of life. When we take the time and energy to understand ourselves, we can identify what we need, and what’s really bothering us.
- Better yourself. When you learn the things that motivate you to become a better person, you can surround yourself with positive reinforcements. We should love and accept ourselves how we are. But at the same time, we should also seek to improve ourselves. When we spend more time pursuing our hobbies and interests, we can get more satisfaction out of our lives.
- Love yourself. In your life, you have friends and family members who want the best for you. But deep down, we need to want the best for ourselves; it’s the only way to make lasting changes in our life. By gaining a stronger sense of self, you can come to better understand yourself as an individual: what you want, what you’re afraid of, and who you want to be.
At Bare Body Sugaring in Winnipeg, we believe that everyone deserves to feel beautiful. Part of that is gaining a deeper sense of who we are as a person. When we build a life based on our truest desires, we can get that much closer to happiness.