While technology offers unprecedented advances, conveniences, and opportunities for instant communication, the fast-paced and never-ceasing barrage of digital information and notifications that currently define our society’s reality can be exhausting, overwhelming, and even detrimental to our overall well-being.
Did you know that the average Canadian spends more than 6 hours per day using digital devices and that approximately 1 in 5 Canadians reports losing sleep and being less physically active because of their use of social media? These statistics are just the tip of the iceberg.
If you feel enslaved to your digital devices and drawn to the idea of taking a break but aren’t sure how to make that happen, then this post is for you. Below, we’ve explored the concept of digital detox, considered its many benefits, and offered some practical tips on how to get started without completely losing your mind, your job, or your social network.
Let’s dive in!
What Is Digital Detox?
Digital detox refers to intentional, short-term disconnection from digital devices. It could take the form of a complete removal from the digital world for a predetermined period of time or could involve the strategic reduction or elimination of specific platforms (such as social media) or habits (such as checking notifications during meals).
Why Consider Digital Detox?
Do any of the following resonate with you? If so, it may be a healthy choice to embrace a digital detox challenge:
- You feel stressed, anxious, or depressed after checking social media or spending time in the online world.
- You have the constant urge to check your phone or other digital devices and feel the need to respond to notifications immediately.
- Your mental and physical health is being compromised due to time dedicated to digital distractions.
- Your sleep patterns and quality of sleep are suffering.
- You’re experiencing difficulty concentrating or focusing.
- Your real-life interactions and relationships are suffering.
Digital Detox Benefits
Detoxing from your digital devices or social media apps may feel like an intimidating prospect, but it can come with many benefits. Some of these include:
- Improved mental health (reduction in anxiety levels and depression)
- Improved sleep quality
- Enhanced real-life awareness and connections
- Better focus, concentration, and creativity
- More time to pursue meaningful experiences, activities, and relationships
Digital Detox Tips
You’re ready to throw your phone away…but not really. How can you set up a successful digital detox that will leave you feeling fully present?
- Be realistic and start small. If a week without your phone feels impossible, start with limiting screen time before bed, during meals, or while spending time with loved ones.
- Share your digital detox with others so that they know how to reach you in the real world and won’t worry that you’ve fallen off the planet.
- Turn off notifications and move social media apps off your home screen to provide some organic distance from incoming messages.
Nourishing Digital Detox Activities
Engaging in nourishing and meaningful activities during your digital detox will allow you to fully appreciate your time away from technology and remind you of the reasons why you chose to leave it behind in the first place.
Make space for reading (a real book, that is), exercise, conversations, time in nature, healthy meal prep, and other self-care routines. At Bare Body Sugaring in Winnipeg, we look forward to being part of your digital detox journey!